19 February 2015 / C15007
The IMO MEPC.251(66) has implemented amendments to MARPOL Annex VI related to energy efficiency requirements.
DBS STATIONS / SURVEYORS
The requirements for Energy Efficiency Design Index (EEDI) as well as the Ship Energy Efficiency Management Plan (SEEMP) were first implemented by Resolution MEPC.203(62) that entered into force on January 1, 2013. IMO MEPC 62 made EEDI mandatory under a new Chapter 4 of Annex VI to MARPOL 73/78.
For further information with regards to the implementation and requirements of EEDI and SEEMP refer to Dromon Circular C12018 here.
The amendments to Regulations 20 & 21 include new ship types as outlined herewith below:
- LNG Carriers (including non-conventional propulsion)
- RO-RO cargo ships (pure vehicle carriers)
- RO-RO cargo ships
- RO-RO passenger ships
- Cruise passenger ships (having non-conventional propulsion only)
The amendments require for the above mentioned ship types to comply with the 5% reduction from EEDI reference line (10% in the case of LNG carriers).
In addition, the above mentioned ship types must have their attained EEDI values calculated in accordance with updated guidelines which reflect specific criteria. For RO-RO cargo ships (pure vehicle carriers), RO-RO cargo ships and RO-RO passenger ships the attained EEDI was already applicable and thus shall not be re-calculated.
As a consequence to these amendments, the IMO circular MEPC.1/Circ.795 has been revised to clarify that ships without means of propulsion and platforms (including FPSOs and FSUs) and drilling rigs, regardless of their propulsion do not require to carry and implement on board a SEEMP.
These amendments apply to the above mentioned ship types and will enter into force on September 1, 2015 under the following criteria:
- for which the building contract is placed on or after September 1, 2015; or
- In the absence of a building contract, the keel of which is laid, or which at a similar stage of construction, on or after March 1, 2016; or
- The delivery of which is on or after September 1, 2019.