06 June 2016 | C16012
Dromon Survey Department is releasing a new technical publication concerning the requirements for maintenance and inspection of firefighting, lifesaving and radio equipment as well as drills as per statutory instruments
Ship Owners | Managers | Operators | Surveyors | Flag Administrations
In continuation of Dromon Circular C13016, this is an update for on board maintenance and drills required by statutory instruments. The publication includes requirements for:
- On-board Maintenance and Inspection of Fire Protection Systems and Appliances
- Servicing, Inspection & Testing of Accommodation Ladders, gangways, davits and winches
- Servicing, Inspection & Testing of Launching Appliances (davit and winch)
- Servicing, Inspection & Testing of Lifeboat on-load release gear
- Servicing, Inspection & Testing of Davit-launched liferaft automatic release hooks
- Servicing, Inspection & Testing of Radio and Navigation Equipment
- On-board Training and Drills
- On-board Inspections of Fire Appliances & Life-Saving Appliances
The information should be used for the ship’s on board maintenance plan as required by SOLAS regulation II-2/14. In accordance with ISM Code Section 10.1 the safety management system of the company has to provide a maintenance plan which ensures maintenance and inspection of the ship and equipment according to the relevant rules and regulations, codes, guidelines and standards. The ship managers should ensure that the existing maintenance programme on board ships follows the revised guidelines and necessary amendments or revisions should be carried out.
Ship Owners/Managers/Operators should assure that the on board maintenance program has been revised or amended to take into consideration the requirements outlined in our new technical publication.
DBS auditors should, during the forthcoming audits, confirm that the maintenance programme on board ships follow the requirements outlined in our publication. If this is not the case, a corrective plan should be agreed between the auditor and the crew members in cooperation with the ship Owners/Managers/Operators.