Celebrating the World Maritime Day – #IMO70
12 June 2018 | C18026
Every year in September we celebrate the World Maritime Day. In 2018, IMO celebrates 70 years since the Convention establishing the Organization was adopted. This year theme is “IMO 70: Our Heritage – Better Shipping for a Better Future”.
Ship Owners/ Managers/ Operators | Flag State Administrations | Surveyors / Auditors
The World Maritime Day theme for 2018 is “IMO 70: Our Heritage – Better Shipping for a Better Future”.
This provides the opportunity to take stock and look back, but also to look forward, addressing current and future challenges for maritime transport to maintain a continued and strengthened contribution towards sustainable growth for all.
List of events
A series of activities and events are planned to mark the 70 years since the Convention establishing IMO was adopted in March 1948.
Two events already took place, where the rest shall come along later this year.
The events are:
- 6 March 2018: a ceremony to mark the date when the IMO Convention was adopted was held at IMO Headquarters with Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II. Read more on the event here and see the photos from the event here.
- 15 May 2018: a high level forum was held at IMO Headquarters to discuss the Organization’s history, its future challenges and role within the global trade in a changing world.
- 25 June 2018: the annual Day of the Seafarer.
- 27 September 2018 – World Maritime Day celebrated at IMO Headquarters and around the world.
- During 2018: in conjunction with the International Congress of Maritime Museums a travelling exhibition will tour participating maritime museums.
- During 2018: a photography contest will be held.
Member Governments and international organizations are encouraged to organize events throughout the year to celebrate #IMO70 .
World Maritime Day Forum 2018
On 15th May 2018, a stimulating debate on “IMO’s role in the future of shipping and international trade” took place at IMO Headquarters in London. See photos here and Listen to the debate or Download the poster.
Parallel Event 2018
The World Maritime Day Parallel Event 2018 will take place 13-15 June in Szczecin, Poland.
The event is jointly organized by the Ministry of Maritime Economy and Inland Navigation of Poland and IMO.
The theme of the event is “IMO 70: Our Heritage – Better Shipping for a Better Future”. The event will include a conference devoted to maritime issues. There will also be a number of accompanying cultural, sports and recreational events for local and visiting guests.
The World Maritime Day Parallel Event 2018 in Szczecin will be part of the celebration of the establishment of IMO as well as the 100th anniversary of Poland’s independence. For more information, please see the website: http://worldmaritimedaypoland.org
A message from IMO Secretary-General Kitack Lim
Speaking from the historic Church Venue, where the first-ever meeting of IMO was held, Mr Kim stated: “Complying with IMO standards can be challenging for the industry. But nothing truly worthwhile is ever easy. IMO’s greatest achievement has been to create a level playing field, through global regulations uniformly implemented, so that ship operators cannot simply cut corners. This approach also encourages innovation and efficiency.”
Below you may find the full IMO Secretary-General message.
World Maritime Day Logo
For the purposes of promotion of the World Maritime Day, IMO has developed a logo which Dromon invites all to incorporate under their email signatures for the month of September 2018.