Alert on detainable deficiencies
27 March 2019 | C19018
Following a recent Port State Control (PSC) inspection, a deficiency has been imposed that resulted in the detention of the vessel. Dromon wishes to draw attention to that detainable deficiency to avoid re-occurrence.
Ship Owners/ Managers/ Operators | Surveyors / Auditors
MF Radio Installation
During the PSC inspection, it was noted that the vessel’s MF DSC equipment was found inoperative. Since the detainable vessel operates within sea areas A1 and A2 and as per SOLAS, Chapter IV, Regulation 9, every ship engaged on voyages beyond sea area A1, but remaining within sea area A2, shall be provided with:
- an MF radio installation capable of transmitting and receiving, for distress and safety purposes, on the frequencies:
- 2,187.5kHz using DSC; and
- 2,182kHz using radiotelephony;
- a radio installation capable of maintaining a continuous DSC watch on the frequency 2,187.5kHz which may be separate from, or combined with the above; and
- means of initiating the transmission of ship-to-shore distress alerts by a radio service other than MF operating either:
- through the polar orbiting satellite service on 406 MHz; this requirement may be fulfilled by the satellite EPIRB, required by Regulation 7.1.6, either by installing the satellite EPIRB close to, or by remote activation from, the position from which the ship is normally navigated; or
- on HF using DSC; or
- through the Inmarsat geostationary satellite service by a ship earth station.
Shipowners / Managers / Operators should be reminded that the radio surveys should be carried out always in presence of DromonClass surveyor.
For the Radio Companies and since such service is affecting statutory certification and service, the firms are subject to approval and verification by Dromon. For such services Dromon may also accept approvals done by:
- the vessel’s flag Administration;
- duly authorized organizations acting on behalf of the flag Administration (such as IACS Classification Members); or
- other organizations those are acceptable to the flag Administration (e.g. other governments, etc.).
Surveyors must take note on the above detainable deficiency and give special attention during forthcoming class and statutory surveys, irrespective of scope.
Shipowners / Managers / Operators are kindly requested to pay special attention into this deficiency, note the regulation’s requirements and should inform Masters to take corrective actions, if necessary.