Celebrating World Maritime Day
Today, 28 September 2023, we celebrate the World Maritime Day, which was established by IMO to honour seafarers and all those involved in the maritime / shipping industry.
The 2023 World Maritime Theme
This year’s World Maritime Theme is “MARPOL at 50 – Our commitment goes on”, reflecting the organization’s long history of protecting the environment via a robust regulatory framework and emphasizes its ongoing commitment to this important work. The theme spotlights the International Convention for the Prevention of Pollution from Ships (MARPOL), which was adopted by the IMO on 02 November 1973 and covers prevention of pollution of the marine environment from operational or accidental causes.
“MARPOL at 50 – Our commitment goes on” promotes discussions on the next phase of IMO’s work to further protect the planet and the oceans, which is linked to the UN 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and includes development goals pertaining to:
- Affordable and clean energy
- Industry, innovation and infrastructure
- Climate action and sustainable use of the oceans, seas and marine resources
- Highlighting the importance of partnerships and implementation in achieving the goals
The IMO – UNEP-Norway Innovation Forum 2023
This forum, held in IMO Headquarters, London, and online, takes place as part of the World Maritime Day celebrations. Sessions include:
- How innovation facilitates higher environmental performance in maritime transport
- Complementing the prohibition on discarding plastic into the sea from ships with innovation and information
- From IMO 2020 to IMO 2030: How IMO’s fuel standards support innovation in marine fuel production
- Decarbonizing the Maritime Sector: Innovative approach to bridging the Global NorthSouth Gap
- Innovative Strategies for a More Sustainable Maritime Sector through Partnerships
Illumination of the IMO building and other emblematic landmarks.
The illumination of the IMO building and the Seafarers memorial, as well as other emblematic landmarks around the world, on World Maritime Day is an annual symbolic effort to unite the maritime community and raise awareness of the vital contribution of shipping to the world. A Flickr album dedicated to last year’s illuminations can be found here.
We send our best wishes to all seafarers around the world, who dedicate their lives to running and operating the vessels.
We also thank all those in the maritime industry (shipping companies, classification societies, machinery / equipment manufacturers, shipyards / workshops, maritime consultancy firms, suppliers, agents etc.) for their contribution to national and global economy.
Let us all celebrate the World Maritime Day and especially for us, Dromon Bureau of Shipping, let us wish, for our personnel and our clients, to move together towards a greener maritime future.