The Clean Shipping Index (CSI) is a cost effective and simple to use application which allows members to assess and lower their environmental impact from maritime transportation. The information is collected in the Clean Shipping Index Database that members of the Clean Shipping Network have access and reward good environmental performance with economic incentives. The members of the Clean Shipping Network aim to contribute to environmental development of the maritime industry.
Which environmental parameters shall be verified?
On behalf of Clean Shipping Index, we can provide verification services for the environmental parameters emitted and produced from your fleet. Data such as greenhouse gases, sulphur oxides, nitrogen oxides, chemicals and wastes harmful to people and the marine environment are enter to the index and verified by our Organization.
What are the benefits for your vessel and company?
- Differentiated port fees – The ports listed below use Clean Shipping Index as a tool for differentiating port fees:
- Port of Gothenburg
- Port of Vancouver
- Port of Prince Rupert
- Port of Gävle
- Differentiated fairway dues in Sweden – The price list from the he Swedish Maritime Administration is available in regulation 2016:27 at sjofartsverket.se
- Access to the CSI database with more than 2200 vessels
- Free participation on network meetings held 1-2 times per year
- Support from Clean Shipping Index Management Team & Technical Committee
- Possibility to steer the development of the Clean Shipping Index organization
- Suggestions on investments for achieving a higher CSI class
- Identifying additional points in terms of “low hanging fruit”
- Support with calculating ROI based on savings on Swedish fairway dues
- Analysis of ships’ environmental performance vs best available technologies & international regulations
Potentially lower interest rate for newbuildings with CSI as a practical risk management tool
For more information about specific benefits for vessels with certified CSI class and members of Clean Shipping Index, download the presentation below.
How does it work?
The Clean Shipping Index tool consists of a questionnaire of 25 basic questions on environmental performance of ships. They all go beyond existing rules and regulations and cover existing ships of different types. You can fill in vessel specific data of environmental parameters through an online questionnaire which is accessible via www.cleanshippingindex.com. You can obtain a Clean Shipping Index account by contacting the Clean Shipping Index secretariat through email@example.com.
The Clean Shipping Index questionnaire covers general information about the participating shipping company and its vessel specific data.
The graph bellows outlines the procedure to be followed for successful verification.
The verification shall be performed by accredited verification companies following the guidelines of Clean Shipping Index. The results of the Verification will be uploaded into the Database and a Certificate of Verification, valid for maximum 3 years, will be issued online. Emissions of CO2, SOx and Particulate Matter need to be verified annually through an office audit.
You can view the scores of your vessels, also in comparison to vessels of other shipping companies. You may thus compare the performance to other vessels of the same type and identify areas for improvement. Members who have access to the database all sign a letter of intent and a confidentiality agreement. The data can be viewed by the members who wish to provide economic incentives for clean shipping: cargo owners, forwarders, ports, authorities and providers of clean technology. Banks and investors may use the Clean Shipping Index as guidance when investing in new ships. By submitting the data into the database, ship owners approve of sharing the data with the Clean Shipping Network members.