Continuing success: Dromon joins “UnderSec” in second European-Funded project.
Dromon Bureau of Shipping is pleased to announce its second participation in an EU-funded initiative namely “Underwater Security”, referred to by the acronym “UnderSec”.
UnderSec is an EU project under Grand Agreement number 101121288 that has been financed under the call HORIZON.2.3.2 – Protection and Security and it is related to the topic HORIZON-CL3-2022-BM-01-01 – Improved underwater detection and control capabilities to protect maritime areas and sea harbors.
ABOUT THE PROJECT
Maritime security is of utmost importance, as it is essential not only for the seamless movement of cargo and passengers in and out of EU ports, but also for the protection of crucial maritime facilities along coastlines and rivers. In addition, it is important that ships and maritime infrastructures as well as the whole marine ecosystem are sufficiently protected against possible illegal acts, by also fostering underwater security to assure secure navigation.
The need for a comprehensive approach to underwater security, combining advanced technologies and interdisciplinary expertise to enhance situational awareness and response capabilities is therefore straightforward.
To respond to this need, on October 1st, 2023, the UnderSec project has officially started its activities with a multinational and interdisciplinary team of experts in maritime and underwater security. This team includes researchers, academics, and technology experts, as well as end-users from Coast Guard, Border Control, and Port Authorities sectors.
The project overall goal is to deter illegal activities and ensure the safety of maritime transportation and critical coastal facilities thanks to a Prototype System, consisting of multimodal sensors and robotic assets, for ships’, ports’ and maritime infrastructures’ Underwater Security Situational Awareness and Decision-Making Support, with relevant response capabilities.
The kick-off meeting is scheduled to take place at Munich, Germany on October 9-11, 2023.
The duration of the project is 36 months, with an anticipated closure on September 30th, 2026 and has an EU contribution of €5,984,893.75.
The UnderSec consortium comprises 22 partners representing 11 countries, namely Germany, Israel, Bulgaria, Greece, Croatia, Cyprus, Spain, Italy, Luxembourg, Portugal, and Romania. Our partners bring diverse expertise to the project, encompassing universities, research centers, governmental organizations, including ministries from multiple nations, as well as technology companies, as follows:
FRAUNHOFER GESELLSCHAFT ZUR FORDERUNG DER ANGEWANDTEN FORSCHUNG EV, Germany
- AUTORITA DI SISTEMA PORTUALE DEL MARE ADRIATICO CENTRO-SETTENTRIONALE- PORTO DI RAVENNA, Italy
- CNT TECHNOLOGIES SOCIETA A RESPONSABILITA LIMITATA SEMPLIFICATA, Italy,
- DROMON BUREAU OF SHIPPING LIMITED, Cyprus
- ELLINIKO MESOGEIAKO PANEPISTIMIO, Greece
- EUROPEAN DYNAMICS LUXEMBOURG SA, Luxembourg
- FONDAZIONE INSTITUTE FOR SUSTAINABLE SOCIETY AND INNOVATION, Italy
- FUNDACION DE LA COMUNIDAD VALENCIANA PARA LA INVESTIGACION, PROMOCION Y ESTUDIOS COMERCIALES DE VALENCIAPORT, Spain
- HELLENIC CENTRE FOR MARINE RESEARCH, Greece
- INSPECTORATUL TERITORIAL AL POLITIEI DE FRONTIERA TIMISOARA, Romania
- MANIBUS EOOD, Bulgaria
- MINISTERIO DA DEFESA NACIONAL, Portugal
- MINISTRY OF DEFENSE, Israel
- MINISTRY OF MARITIME AFFAIRS AND INSULAR POLICY, Greece
- OCEANSCAN – MARINE SYSTEMS & TECHNOLOGY LDA, Portugal
- ORGANISMOS LIMENOS LAVRIOU ANONYMI ETAIREIA, Greece
- PANEPISTIMIO DYTIKIS ATTIKIS, Greece
- PROBOTEK IKE, Greece
- RAFAEL ADVANCED DEFENCE SYSTEMS LTD, Israel
- RUDER BOSKOVIC INSTITUTE, Croatia
- SOCIEDAD ANONIMA DE ELECTRONICA SUBMARINA SME, Spain
- TEL AVIV UNIVERSITY, Israel
OUR ROLE IN THE PROJECT
Our extensive background and proficiency in maritime safety and security by surveying, inspection and classification will make significant contributions to the project’s regulatory framework and the application of rules within both ship and port facilities.
Our expertise is instrumental in the verification and validation of security procedures, systems, and products throughout their development and post-implementation phases. Additionally, we are well-resourced to offer guidance on the applicability of diverse rules and regulations, ensuring the project’s compliance with relevant laws. We are also capable of providing valuable insights and recommendations pertaining to security protocols and checklists within the project’s scope.
We extend our sincere appreciation to our esteemed partners, who have placed their trust in Dromon for our participation in the project.
Your confidence in our R&D capabilities is invaluable, and we are committed to delivering exceptional results together.